When to dial 111

Discuss ways to defend from burglary or stop a burglary in progress
User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 107
Joined: December 18th, 2018, 5:42 pm

When to dial 111

Post by jmitchell » December 21st, 2018, 8:04 am

If someone tests your door handle and walks away, you should call 111.

An unknown person attempting to enter your home or unit is a burglary in progress even if it never began.

A person who tests door handles is actively trying to burgle a property and they should be reported to the Police immediately. If the Police are free then they'll send nearby patrol cars to find the suspect and get their id.

111 calls are usually for life threatening situations but 111 also exists for crimes in progress. Don't hesitate to use it.

Burglary carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in jail but in many cases the courts just put the criminal on home detention for 3-6 months or a similar scheme.