Home burgled, no cctv was installed

Discuss ways to defend from burglary or stop a burglary in progress
jmitchell
Site Admin

Home burgled, no cctv was installed

Post by jmitchell » December 28th, 2018, 9:17 am

The couple were struggling to think what more they could have done to prevent the burglary. They had two deadlocks on their door, latches on all the windows, left lights and the radio on, and closed the curtains when they went out.

"It's just really hard to know, apart from an alarm and a camera, what more we could have done. You can't be home 24 hours a day," Heard said.

"My husband's going to go and knock on some doors and see if [the neighbours] saw anything or, I don't know, just to try and do something. You just feel very helpless ... I don't know what we can do."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/ ... ristchurch

In Russia you'd just get your vodka-drinking friend Ivan to sleep in the lounge with a baseball bat by his side. In The Queen's Dominion, New Zealand, we just don't bother to think like that I guess. New Zealanders don't buy cctv and they don't even have a burglar alarm, and even if they had a burglar alarm, they wouldn't bother to get it serviced every 5 years (in the same way that they don't get their heatpump serviced)

Then we wonder how a burglary could happen? LOL

Notice how in English we use worthless, non-specific phrases, for example: "My husband's going to go and knock on some doors and see if [the neighbours] saw anything or, I don't know, just to try and do something. You just feel very helpless"

New Zealanders always feel helpless. Their language makes them this way. In English you don't say "my husband's going to go" you say "my husband will". It's much easier, no? My other favourite: "just to try and do something". New Zealanders cringe when they hear "I'm not going to bother" especially when it's in a dry tone, whereas we should say "I won't do ______". Much more direct.

Yeah bruh, ****ing All Blacks, Whitikurs Chocolate, ****ing Speights and Monteiths and ****ing rugby, and drive a Ford or Holden, that's how I roll, chuuuur mate"

We must be the stupidest population on the planet. Kiwis, as they like to be called, know nothing about technology, security or surveillance and every website we visit is owned by an American or Australian company, and hosted on an American or Australian server. But at least we can be proud of the All Blacks, chuuuur mate!

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:
GET A CCTV CAMERA NOW OR REGRET IT LATER

I have passed my concerns (lack of cctv in homes) onto the Police.

jmitchell
Site Admin

Re: Home burgled, no cctv was installed

Post by jmitchell » December 28th, 2018, 9:35 am

Before anyone criticises me by claiming that cctv is "too expensive" here is my copy-and-paste generic response:

They were married, could afford a wedding ring, a house to live in, and a 50kg safe. I'm unemployed living in a unit with no sound proofing on the toilet walls so I hear everything, but I still have cctv. These people had way more money than me, plus they could afford to go away on holidays.

jmitchell
Site Admin

Post by jmitchell » December 28th, 2018, 10:50 am

I take back my comment about trusting the neighbours to monitor their (hypothetical) cctv. As Frilly pointed out, this family had only just moved in. For all we know it could have been the neighbours who burgled them.

Frilly Perduta

Post by Frilly Perduta » January 14th, 2019, 3:05 pm

I would love to go on holiday but last time I went it was only for 10 days and while I was away they tried to disassemble my security cameras... yet again. The neighbors don't give a toss whether I am burgled, because they don't want me living in "their" neighborhood.
I will get the same shitty treatment wherever I go because I am recognizably transgender.
I believe the current system is all geared to insurance companies just covering it and so there is no real incentive to fight crime I don't know if cctv is any use. all I ever got was unrecognizable hoodies. I do think loud burglar alarms may be a deterrent.. but if they know you are away for the rest of the week (as they stalk properties)... well they gunna get in and nobody will pay attention.