Professional setups, incl. outdoors (expensive crap warning!)

Discuss ways to defend from burglary or stop a burglary in progress
jmitchell
Site Admin

Professional setups, incl. outdoors (expensive crap warning!)

Post by jmitchell » December 30th, 2018, 12:49 pm

Geovision and View Tech are companies that you can go to if you own a mansion or just happen to have money to burn.

Frilly Perduta

Re: Professional setups, incl. outdoors (expensive crap warning!)

Post by Frilly Perduta » January 2nd, 2019, 10:29 am

All these systems do is act as a deterrent, but it's so easy for burglars to disguise themselves that they don't achieve much more than a fake security system... but they do produce a lot of annoying footage and give the owner a false sense of security.
Infra red glow of night vision cameras are highly visible to the trained eye, alerting the crooks to exactly where the cameras are.
I've stopped using them and have sold mine now.

What we need are concealed high resolution cameras that photograph intruders where they believe nobody can see them and can't get away with some innocent sounding pretext: We do NOt need video.

Simply leave the lights on. Night time electricity is cheap and an LED for infra red is no cheaper to run than one for visible light.
Thieves will assume you left them on, to pretend someone is in šŸ˜‰

Audible alarm systems are mostly ignored during the day even though that's when most burglaries take place. All they achieve is to alert the criminals they have been detected giving them a better chance to get away with whatever loot they already have, but still give some protection when set off well before they manage to grab anything.

jmitchell
Site Admin

Post by jmitchell » January 2nd, 2019, 1:18 pm

The good thing about cctv is that if someone is looking around your property, you can get their face on camera. I'd have cameras on the roof if I could afford to! Then I'd see people sneaking around the back (watch the timelapse)

Sure if they break in they'll cover their face but they'd look a bit suspicious wandering around a driveway like that, plus they risk being filmed before they enter the property. The brand that I have now has an auto-record feature when it detects something, I presume it connects to a server to provide this feature!

Hidden cameras are a great idea.

Is there a law about using razor wire on fences?

Frilly Perduta

Post by Frilly Perduta » January 2nd, 2019, 5:57 pm

I do hope you wont let a few trolls and grumpy know-it-alls bully you off neighborly site there Jeff!
You are doing valuable investigations of security systems even if there are many people who aren't interested for whatever reason.

Anyway... security cameras up high don't work well because all yopu see is the top of their hoodie and I've seen plenty people walking round with a scarf or something covering part of their face and wearing dark glasses too. The trick is to make them think there is no security system:
I'm looking into these ones at the moment: https://www.recordergear.com/hidden-nanny-spy-cameras/ the camera can be staring them in the face closeup...

jmitchell
Site Admin

Post by jmitchell » January 2nd, 2019, 9:00 pm

I'm not leaving neighbourly, I just have nothing to report at the moment :)

Having security but making it less obvious is a really good idea. It's the same concept as having a body guard.