Stolen iPhone sent its location

Report burglaries, anti-social behaviour and attempted burglaries in this board.
jmitchell
Site Admin

Stolen iPhone sent its location

Post by jmitchell » January 21st, 2019, 4:19 pm

Dear Resident

On Saturday 19th January our office was broken into and a number of our personal and business items were stolen including 3x Apple Macbook laptops.

All of the devices are password protected with tracking and won't be able to be unlocked or resold so have no value other than to the owners.

At 7.20am this morning (21st January) an alert was sent to us letting us know one of the devices had been found in this area.

We are happy to offer a no questions asked, CASH REWARD, for the safe return of these items as well as the other stolen goods as they will hold no value / not be possible to resell as they are all locked.

If you have any information regarding this, please contact us on _____________ (number removed as not relevant to most people)

We are hopeful that the items will be returned to us in good faith.

[Jeff's note: the iPhone pinged from near 20A and 20B Walpole Street but the location could have a margin of error up to 10 or 20 metres]
Attachments
iphonetheft.png
iphonetheft.png (1.17 MiB) Viewed 79 times

Frilly Perduta

Re: Stolen iPhone sent its location

Post by Frilly Perduta » January 23rd, 2019, 8:46 pm

Did you hear back if the police is going to investigate.
I'm particularly interested because the use of tracking devices becomes rather pointless if they aren't going to go recover the tracked item... While citizens have a legal right to go reposes their property I don't think it will be advisable to do so.

jmitchell
Site Admin

Post by jmitchell » February 4th, 2019, 5:01 pm

I sent a text message to the person who had their stuff stolen, and they told me that one of the items was recovered. The person who tried to sell it was caught on cctv and the image is available at the police station. I won't post specifics since it isn't to do with me. Making the case number public would allow anyone to alter the existing information. Emma, get in touch. They'll share the case number with you.

Frilly Perduta

Post by Frilly Perduta » February 12th, 2019, 11:02 am

it's interesting that although they caught one of the crooks they didn't manage to find any of the other stolen items.
I wonder, did they search his/her place for stolen property?
did they interrogate him/her?
It suggests to me that they don't know who it is despite the security footage and despite the stolen cell phone pinging in from Walpole street.

jmitchell
Site Admin

Post by jmitchell » February 12th, 2019, 9:36 pm

Yeah it's basically a lost cause until someone installs cameras to watch all traffic going into and out of Walpole Street. To hell with privacy. NZSIS keeps secret files on political activists and can retrieve entire web histories with x-keyscore but the Police aren't allowed to investigate criminals :lol:

I talked with a shop owner today who lived near the stadium back when he and his wife first came to NZ. One of their first experiences in Phillipstown was a strange lady asking for a ride. Then the crazy woman sat in the middle of the road, urinated and then began finger-blasting her hoo-haaar. Drug addicts would fornicate in a park (off Charles Street based on what I was told) and no-one can stop them.

Thanks to national and labour, we're a criminal's paradise. Most of the time criminals aren't sentenced to prison and even if they are, it's just a training ground / thieves guild.

Frilly Perduta

Post by Frilly Perduta » February 13th, 2019, 11:32 pm

I feel it's more than that.

I read a book called Taua, it was about the actual Maori way of life before Europeans came. Expeditions to plunder were common place and culminated in what is known as the "musket wars" which was between Maori tribes and not against the White settlers. I won't go into what they did do the vanquished people, but I believe the ongoing pillaging of people's homes today is simply a continuation of the Maori culture fostered by phony grievance politics.

The response I got from a Tokanga Vehikite, when i asked why a burglar on the run would have knocked at her door, was very telling:

I suspect it's a whole network of locals colluding.